If you love animals and would like to make a difference to lives of the many animals the SPCA rescues and cares for, then consider becoming part of our special group of volunteers, also known as our animal angels.
There are various ways in which you can get involved:
- Kennels – socialising and exercising dogs, cleaning cages and bathing dogs
- Cattery – cleaning litter trays, changing blankets and grooming cats and kittens
- The Horse Care Unit – mucking stables and paddocks. Experience working with horses is a prerequisite to volunteer in this unit
- Assist with fundraising events such as the Wiggle Waggle Walkathon, Woefie Wandel, book sales, money counting and photography
- Maintenance – gardening or general cleaning of our grounds
- Animal Hospital – assisting our vets and animal welfare assistants care for sick animals, although a qualification in veterinary nursing or veterinary science is a definite pre-requisite.
If you would like to make a contribution and make a difference then we invite you to attend a volunteer orientation session, which takes place on the first Saturday of each month (unless stated otherwise). The orientation will give you a better understanding of what it means to volunteer at the SPCA and will allow you to make an informed decision before you sign up.
Contact Volunteer Coordinator, Juan August by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 021 700 4180 to book your spot at the next volunteer orientation.
Community Service Opportunities
Learners wanting to complete their Community Service assignments at the SPCA, please click here for details.
What our volunteers say …
“What a joy and privilege to be able to work with these homeless canine specials. Being able to make a small difference in their lives brings me so much fulfilment. We have exercise, fun and discipline, but above all else we share the love that we unstintingly give to one another. LICKS ARE GREAT!” – Mary
“These beautiful equines feed my soul and I have to admit that I get so much more from them, than I could possibly offer them in return.” – Tessa
“I volunteer at the HCU to retrain the equines so that they can be adopted and get a second chance at life. ” – Newton
“I love seeing the happy greetings from the dogs each morning.” – Malcolm