· Sharp Cooked Bones – Contrary to what you might have heard, sharp bones like those in ribs or chicken are NOT dangerous for your dog unless they are cooked. Once bones are cooked, they harden and can harm your dog when they splinter or cause an obstruction.
· Onions – can irritate your dog’s gut and cause red blood cell damage.
· Milk – not actually toxic but can cause an upset stomach especially in puppies.
· Chocolate – The theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate contains the highest level of theobromine so is most toxic.
· Caffeine and alcohol – Coffee, tea, alcohol and energy drinks can impact your dog’s nervous system.
· Xylitol – this artificial sweetener that you will find in sugar-free chewing gum and sweets can cause liver damage.
· Raw Bread Dough – this can rise in your dog’s tummy!
· Spicy or Greasy Food – any food that is rich, spicy or greasy can make your dog feel sick and can cause either diarrhoea or vomiting
· Grapes, Raisins and Macadamia Nuts – these can cause kidney failure.
What do you do if your pet ate one of these foods?
Contact your vet as quickly as possible. You need only rush your dog to the vet if he is having seizures or is losing consciousness. If your dog is vomiting or has diarrhoea, watch closely for dehydration which can happen very quickly and can be dangerous in itself.