Vote for South Africa’s Hill’s Pet Slimmer of the Year – 1 to 22 October 2012
Mirror, mirror on the wall – who’s the most perfect furkid of them all? From 1 to 22 October voting is open on www.petslimmer.co.za for the 2012 Hill’s Pet Slimmer of the Year. Check out the weight-loss stories and amazing before-and-after photos of some of South Africa’s fattest felines and portliest pooches. The five pets that receive the most votes by 22 October will each win R5, 000 in recognition of their weight loss achievement and the overall top dog (or cat) will be awarded the coveted 2012 Hill’s Pet Slimmer of the Year title.
The Hill’s Pet Slimmer competition is a small part of a campaign to combat a pet obesity “epidemic”. Veterinarian Dr Guy Fyvie, veterinary advisor to Hill’s Pet Nutrition, a leading expert on pet obesity in South Africa says; “An estimated 50% of the South African pet population that visit vets are overweight. These fat cats and dogs are at an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, arthritis and cancer. Rather than thinking you’re showing how much you love your pet, when you over-feed or indulge them, you may actually be shortening their lifespan.”
This year alone, thousands of cats and dogs have signed up on Hill’s Pet Slimmer Programme, a veterinary supervised weight-loss regime, in a bid to shed their ‘killer kilos’.
A panel of judges selected ten finalists from the pets that had reached their target weight by 31 August. These nine dogs and one cat have lost, on average, more than a third of their bodyweight.
- Mr Tigger Dutton, a cat from Durban North in KwaZulu-Natal, lost 44.56% of his bodyweight, going from 9.2kg to 5.1kg with the help of La Lucia Veterinary Clinic.
- Tessa Hackland, a yellow Labrador from Kokstad in KwaZulu-Natal, lost 40.57% of her bodyweight, going from 44.9kg to 26.68kg with the help of East Griqualand Vet Services.
- Ouvrou Gerber, a small cross breed from Jeffrey’s Bay, Eastern Cape lost 37.5% of her bodyweight (11.2kg to 7.kg) under the care of Da Gama Veterinary Clinic.
- Buster Lewis, a Border Collie from Pretoria, lost 34.65% of his bodyweight (40.4kg to 26.4kg) under the care of Brooklyn Veterinary Clinic.
- Lady Longland, a Jack Russell cross from Centurion in Pretoria, lost 34.61% of her bodyweight (13kg to 8.5kg), under the care of Zwartkop Animal Clinic.
- Stoffel van Niekerk, a Corgi cross Airedale from Centurion, Pretoria, lost 33.66% of his bodyweight (30kg to 19.9kg) under the care of Noag Animal Clinic.
- Lara Coetzee, a black Labrador from Constantia, Cape Town lost 33.11% of her bodyweight (45kg to 30.1kg) under the care of Brommersvlei Veterinary Clinic.
- Patrys Stander, a wire-haired Jack Russell from Hartebeestpoort Dam and Pretoria, lost 32.43% of her bodyweight (14.8kg to 10kg), with the help of Atterbury Bird & Animal Hospital.
- Dart Sueltz, a Beagle from Rivonia, Johannesburg lost 29% of his bodyweight (20kg to 14.2kg) with the help of Rivonia Village Veterinary Clinic.
- Nemo John, a yellow Labrador from Yellowwood Park, Durban, lost 21.56% of his bodyweight (51kg to 40kg) under the care of Brighton Beach Vet Clinic.
Buddy, a once overweight Dachshund from Bloemfontein, was last year’s poster boy for combatting pet obesity. He won the 2011 Hill’s Pet Slimmer of the Year after losing 46% of his bodyweight.
For advice on your pet’s optimum weight speak to your vet or visit www.petslimmer.co.za – it is full of useful tools and healthy eating advice to make keeping pets in shape easier than ever before.