To make sure you are getting the best puppy possible, you need to start with a great breeder. The best breeder is not always the breeder with the best show results. Many top breeders keep dozens of dogs in runs – not the best way to guarantee friendly, well socialised puppies.
The good breeder should:
- Breed one breed only.
- Breed one litter at a time.
- Be knowledgable about their breed and keen to share their knowledge.
- Have only friendly, healthy and calm dogs who live as part of the family.
- Be fussy about who takes their puppies – expect lots of questions.
- Not release the puppies to their new homes before 8 weeks of age.
- Never sell more than one puppy to a home.
- Provide the first innocoulation and deworming.
- Handle the puppies daily and socialise their puppies with children.
- Provide references – of owners of previous litters and their vet.