Is your dog suffering from one or another behaviour problem like digging, chewing, excessive barking, food guarding etc.? Before splashing out on a visit from an animal behaviourist, ask yourself the following questions.
- Are you taking your dog for at least a half to one hour of lead walking at least once every day?
- Does your dog get to run off the lead every day or go running with you?
- Does your dog have access to the family (not left outside in the yard)?
- Can your dog see out of your property?
- Do you play with your dog every day with a toy?
- Do you train your dog every day?
- Do you reinforce your basic pack leadership rules all the time (e.g. eating before your dog, dog off the bed, no greetings, no rough play etc.)?
- Does your dog have a regular daily routine i.e. eating, playing, walking at particular times?
- Is everyone in the family consistent in treating the dog in the same way?
- Do you have basic house rules for acceptable behaviour?
- Does your dog always have something to chew on e.g. hoof, raw marrow bone etc?
If you cannot answer “Yes” to all of these questions, do yourself a favour and address these issues first before looking for outside help for your dog. If you are meeting all your dog’s needs and your dog’s behavior is still a problem, contact us for a referral to a reputable behaviourist. firstname.lastname@example.org