Our Beginners’ Obedience Course is a 6 week basic obedience course perfect for any dog new to our club who is 18 weeks or older and who does not have serious issues with other dogs. (Puppies under 18 weeks, join our Puppy Course). Please note – this is not a positive reinforcement course, you will be training your dog using praise and correction. It’s a bit like a boot camp where we give you the control you need to manage your dog on the lead. This course does not address behavioural issues like fear and aggression. For dogs who have an aggression problem, we suggest you consider our Behaviour Management Course. You can apply for both courses below – click on “Apply Now” further down the page.
The course consists of 6 weekly classes. We also give you a link to an intro video where we cover how to take charge of your dog in a kind way; how to prevent and deal with problem behaviour; how your dog learns and what to expect at training.
During the course, we teach you how to get your dog to walk nicely on the lead, come when called, sit, down, stand and stay. We also teach you how to get your dog under control, manage your dog at home and around other dogs. Obedience training does not address behavioural problems specifically but through training, you will learn the skills to have better control of your dog’s behaviour. At the end of the course, your trainer will assess to make sure that you have succeeded in mastering the basics.
We strongly recommend that your dog lives inside your home as part of the family. We also suggest early spaying and neutering. We recommend that your dog wears a collar and tag at all times.
Beginner’s Classes are held on Saturday afternoons. The classes are at 1.30pm. The next Beginner’s Course will start on 27 August 2022.
Puppy owners please note: These courses are not for pups who have attended our puppy classes or new puppies who haven’t attended classes.
Courses are fully booked many months in advance so to ensure you get a place, please complete the application form and make payment as soon as possible. Only applications accompanied by payment are secured.
You need to be prepared to practice what you learn on Saturdays for at least 15 minutes every day of the week. In the event of your dog showing aggression during the course, we may recommend that we move your dog to our behaviour management course.
R600 (payable upfront to secure a place) – Pensioners pay half. Please note course fees are not refundable.
How to book for a course:
Complete an online application and send your proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bookings only will be accepted. Only once payment is received is the booking secured.
For queries about our courses, mail Denise on email@example.com
Cape Province Dog Club
Please use your name as a reference – we will match your payment to your application.
What to Bring:
- You will need a soft webbing lead (1.2m) plus a webbing halter. (all available at our club). No harnesses, slip chains, flat collars or chain leads please. Get your dog used to wearing the halter as soon as possible rather then waiting for the course to start. You can contact us order a halter. Flat faced breeds like pugs and bulldogs will need a front clip harness.
- Poo bag to clean up after your dog.
- Tasty pea size treats and/or favourite toy.
What to wear:
- A mask over mouth and nose
- Comfortable clothes which do not fall off when you bend over!
- Skirts tend to get in the way when training so for ladies, pants are recommended.
- A moon bag or pocket in which to keep your treats or toy.
- Closed non-slip shoes
- A weather-proof jacket in Winter – we train whatever the weather.
Where to Find Us:
Pinelands Primary School
- Children who would like to handle a dog must be attending high school.
- The same handler must bring the dog to class every week, you may not send a family member or friend.
- Please do not bring your dog to class if he or she has Kennel Cough or if your bitch is on heat.
What our handlers have to say:
Just want to say thank you to Cape Province Dog Club, Kimora and I finished the obedience class on Saturday and we loved the entire process… Mervyn was amazing!!! Kirsten
Thank you, Mervyn, for your encouragement and for making the classes fun! Sue and Flynn